They made a choice..

So, I'm on my way to the restaurant around 9 this morning. We don't open until 11 but due to the snow I knew there would be work to do. I notice two kids in front of the store with tools and a small butter container of rock salt."Can we shovel the front of the store for you?" they say. I asked, how much? "10 dollars?...5 and 5?...is that too much?" They must have been 10 and 11 years old. The feeling I got at that moment was something I would bottle and sell to people having a rough day. I said, "no 10 dollars is fine, we don't open until 11 so just ring the bell when you're done". They said "OK" and started chipping away at some ice near the door.

Now, its Saturday morning at 9am. These kids could have been watching cartoons, eating a bowl of cereal or playing video games. They could have been having a snowball fight, building a snow fort or sledding down a hill in Prospect Park. Instead they're out being young businessmen. Keelo offered them tea. They enjoyed a few sips, thanked her respectfully and kept working.

When they were done they rang the bell. I came out and gave them 10 dollars each and thanked them. They looked shocked and grateful. I told them how great it is to see them using their Saturday to earn money. They thanked me for what they took as a complimen and told me they had to go "because we have other appontments". I couldn't help it...I had to laugh a little.

We all make choices based on what motivates us. I wonder what motivated them this morning.



Komentar