Tofu Lovers Quesadilla

After a run and a long day at work I was ready for an easy and quick meal last night. Of course I could have ordered take-out or opted for some processed foods, but if you know me by now you know that's not my style. Tacos, fajitas, burritos, and quesadillas are easy and quick to make and they are my go-to lazy meal. Tofu and beans are quicker than cooking beef or chicken, and they qualify for Meatless Monday!

Instead of going for a traditional white or corn tortilla look for a whole wheat variety for extra fiber (filling power). I am a big fan of the 100 calorie wraps available (Flatoutz or La Tortilla, found in the deli section). These help keep the portions and calories in check. I packed this quesadilla with all of my favorite ingredients for a super filling meal. In fact, there were so many I would have to call this a sautéed onion, garlic-lime tofu, bean, and cheese quesadilla...kind of a mouthful!

Typically quesadillas are served with salsa/sour cream. I omitted the sour cream mostly because it always spoils before I can use it all. I didn't miss it at all! The creaminess of the avocado was enough for me and cut the calories and saturated fat. Going for the low-fat sour cream is a healthier option (not the fat-free, which I find has little flavor) :)

Tofu Lovers Quesadilla
Makes 4

Ingredients:
1 tsp canola oil
1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
4 oz tofu, mashed
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1 jalapeño, diced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro*
1 Tbsp lime juice
1/8 tsp garlic powder, chili powder

4 wheat tortillas
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup vegetarian refried beans
1 cup salsa

*Or use 1 Tbsp cilantro paste (found in the produce section of most grocery stores)

Directions: 
1. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until starting to caramelize.
2. Mix tofu, avocado, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, and garlic and chili powder in a bowl. Mix well.
3. Heat the refried beans in a microwaveable bowl for 1 minute. Stir and microwave additional 30 seconds. Set aside.
4. Spread 2-3 Tbsp of beans on half of the tortilla. Spread 1/3 cup of avocado/tofu mixture. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese on top of the beans.
5. Place in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes, flip and cook additional 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Serve with salsa.

Nutrition Facts: 1 Quesadilla
425 calories, 20 g fat (7 g saturated), 42 g carbohydrates, 9 g fiber, 19 g protein, 690 mg sodium

Komentar