Meatless Monday... Eggplant Parmesan


Meatless Monday is here again and it tastes so good. I have a late night at work tonight, so I planned ahead and made some eggplant parmesan last night, one of my favorites. Usually I do a baked version, but my boyfriend convinced me to set aside my dietitian hat and make the real deal. I must say that it was probably the best I had ever made… everything in moderation (yes, even pan-fried eggplant). I made enough for 2 meals for 2 people and maybe a lunch or 2 out of one eggplant, you can’t go wrong there!

 

My Menu for Meatless Monday

Breakfast- 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal w/ sliced banana, soymilk and coffee

Snack- Lowfat raspberry Greek yogurt

Lunch- Hummus and veggie wrap on Joseph’s Lavash Bread, Clementine, baby carrots

Dinner- Spinach salad with vinegar, eggplant parmesan and Dreamfield’s pasta

 

Eggplant Parmesan

Makes 6 servings

 

Ingredients:

1 medium eggplant, sliced into ½” inch

½ cup all purpose flour

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup Italian breadcrumbs

1/3 cup canola oil

1.5 cups of marinara sauce, plus more for pasta

1.5 cups of part skim, shredded mozzarella

1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

3/4 pound pasta, (whole grain preferred)

 

Directions:

  1. Dredge the eggplant in flour, dip in egg, and dip in the breadcrumbs.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, let heat for 3-5 minutes. Test the temperature by spraying a small amount of water in the pan, it should sizzle when the oil is hot enough.
  3. Place eggplant slices in hot oil for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from oil and set aside on plate covered in paper towels.
  4. Place ½ cup of marinara sauce in bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Place single layer of eggplant on top. Spread 1-2 Tbsp of sauce on each slice of eggplant, top with 2-3 Tbsp of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with parmesan.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.

 

Nutrition Facts: 2 slices eggplant parmesan and 1 cup cooked pasta

540 calories, 24 g fat (6 g saturated), 700 mg sodium, 68 g carbohydrates, 11 g fiber, 24 g protein.

Komentar