Russian Beef Brisket


I always say I am going to use my slow cooker more often. In the past, when I actually get around to using it, it becomes my best friend. Now that it is December, the days are shorter, and we have snow on the ground I have big plans for my trusty crock pot. After a long day at work and a good workout, I often don’t have the energy to make dinner. The slow cooker does all the work for me, so dinner is ready in what seems like a flash!

I was inspired to make beef brisket in the slow cooker after coming across a recipe in a Diabetic Slow Cooker magazine. I have only had BBQ brisket a few times and have never made brisket, unless you count corned beef (hey, it is the same cut of meat). This dish has mushrooms, onions, cabbage, and a creamy sauce, it reminds me of a traditional Polish dish (minus the pickles). Pair with your favorite starch (egg noodles, potato, sweet potato, or rice) and dinner is served! I decided to use only half of the piece I bought and froze the rest for a later time, which will most definitely be slow cooked BBQ style.

 

This recipe can be cooked in a slow cooker over low heat for 10 hours (for those long work days) or for 5 hours on high. I like to put my crock pot together the night before and store in the fridge overnight. That way my morning is low stress and I’m out the door. Allow it to cook an additional 30 minutes to get back to room temperature.

 

Russian Beef Brisket (adapted from Better Homes and Garden)

Serves 6

 

Ingredients:

2 tsp canola oil

1.5 pound flat beef brisket, trimmed

Salt and pepper, to taste

2 onions, quartered

2 cups baby carrots

1 cup celery, sliced

1.5 cups low sodium beef broth

¼ cup vodka (optional)

2 tsp dried dill weed

6 oz light sour cream

1 tsp horseradish

1 tsp Dijon mustard

¼ cup all purpose flour

¼ cup water

3 cups shredded cabbage

1 cup sliced mushrooms

 

Directions:

  1. Sprinkle salt and pepper over meat. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, brown the beef for 2-3 minutes per side.
  2. Place the onions, carrots and celery in the base of the slow cooker. Place the meat on top.
  3. Pour beef broth and vodka over meat, sprinkle with dill weed. Cook for 5 hours on high or 10 hours on low.
  4. Mix sour cream, horseradish, mustard, flour, and water in a bowl. Pour into slow cooker.
  5. Add mushrooms and cabbage and cook on high for 30-60 minutes.

 

Nutrition Facts: 3 oz meat, 1.5 cups of vegetables

320 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated). 21 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 30 g protein, 380 mg sodium

 

Komentar