Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Ham

Split pea soup is one of my favorite hearty soups. It is perfect to pack for lunches and freezes extremely well, for those busy nights when you don’t have time to cook. I try not to prepare ham too much due to the nitrate and high salt content, but when I do, I most definitely enjoy it.

 

Usually I let my split pea soup simmer for hours on the stovetop, but I didn’t have time this weekend to do that. Instead of putting it off another week I decided to try it in the slow cooker. After serving baked ham and mashed sweet potatoes the night before and freezing half, I had my leftover ham bone with plenty of ham still left on it for the soup. Using the ham bone and marrow gives the soup a lot more flavor than cubed ham, but if in a pinch, will work.

 

Dried beans, lentils, and legumes are inexpensive ingredients that go a long way! They can be featured in vegetarian meals or go alongside the meat entrĂ©e as the starch for the meal. Split peas are a great source of cholesterol-lowering fiber; in fact, 1 cup provides 16 g fiber (about 40% of daily value). One cup contains 240 calories, but is a great source of carbohydrates, protein, and minerals such as folate, potassium, and manganese.

 

I put the slow cooker together the night before to save me time in the morning. That way all I have to do is pull it out of the refrigerator, set it, and GO. If you prepare it ahead of time, leave the broth out until you are ready to cook it.

 

Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup

Makes 12 servings

4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low

 

Ingredients:

16 oz bag of dried split peas

1 meaty ham bone (about 1 pound)

1 yellow onion, diced

1 cup carrots, sliced

3 celery stalks, sliced

1 tsp chopped garlic

1 bay leaf

7 cups of low sodium chicken broth

Pepper, to taste

 



Directions:

1. Place split peas in the bottom of the slow cooker. Place the meaty ham bone on top on the peas.

2. Spread the onion, carrots, and celery evenly.  Add garlic, bay leaf and pepper. Pour broth on top. Do not stir.

3.Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours. Pull out the ham bone. Cut off the ham and dice or shred (depending on how tough it is). Add diced ham back to soup and serve hot.

 

Nutrition Facts: 1 Cup

170 calories, 1.5 g fat (0 g saturated), 26 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 14 g protein, 500 mg sodium

Komentar