Buttered Fiddleheads


Fiddleheads are a spring delight. Fiddleheads are young ferns that have not unfurled. Once cooked, they are an incredibly delicious vegetable. It’s unfortunate they are available for such a short time each year, but I think it makes them taste that much more special. I admit that I have missed the season the past few years, but I was able to enjoy some pickled fiddleheads. This was the first year I was able to prepare them myself. I plan on going back for more within the next few days; I have not had my fix. Fiddleheads can be harvested or found in supermarkets and natural food stores in early spring.  It is important to cook them to kill the bacteria that they may contain. 


Fiddleheads have been a part of French and Asian cuisine for some time and are a classic spring vegetable in New England. I kept them super simple so I could really appreciate their wonderful flavor. I typically use olive oil in my cooking, especially in vegetables, but I sprung for real butter for this once-a-year treat.

 

Buttered Fiddleheads

Makes 4 servings

 

3 cups fresh fiddleheads

1 Tbsp unsalted butter

Dash salt, pepper to taste

 

  1. Wash the fiddleheads well, trim the ends and discard.
  2. Place fiddleheads in a steamer basket and in a larger covered pot with ¼ cup water. Cook for 12-15 minutes.
  3. Remove from steamer basket and place in pan. Add butter, salt, and pepper and mix well.
  4. Enjoy warm or cold!

 

 

 

Komentar