Berry Delicious Red Sangria

My birthday is this weekend and we are expecting 80 degree weather in Vermont...which means it's time to BBQ and enjoy the sunshine. I plan on having some adult drinks to enjoy the day and this sangria is on my list. I made it a few weeks ago and is came out great! It is sweet, but not too sweet and I love to eat the soaked fresh fruits afterwards! It is super easy to make and you mix it by the pitcher, meaning you are not having to be a bartender and you can enjoy your friends and family.

Sangria is essentially a fruited wine punch that comes to us from Spain and Portugal. It has been enjoyed in Europe from hundreds of years, though it has only been introduced in the United States in the last century. I first tasted Sangria when I visited Spain and I loved it. It is refreshing and easy to drink, though I do remember a few pitchers that were made pretty strong. It turns out the alcohol content can vary a lot based on what ingredients are used, drink mindfully, especially if planning to drive. Different types of wine can be used (white, red, rose) but red is traditional (it gets its name from the translation "bloodletting"). If you like wine, it's worth a try, I hope you will like it!

Berry Delicious Red Sangria
Makes 6 servings

1 750 ml bottle of red wine (Rioja is traditional, but your favorite will do!)
1/2 cup brandy
1/2 cup triple sec
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup orange juice
2 Tbsp white sugar
2 cups favorite seltzer (or diet sierra mist/sprite)
1 lime, sliced
1 lemon, sliced
1 orange, sliced
2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced

Directions:
1. Mix all ingredients except fruit and carbonated beverage in a large pitcher, stir well.
2. Add fruit and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
3. Add carbonated beverage and serve cold with ice.

Komentar